I had the great opportunity to go with some friends (11 of us altogether, some old and new) up to Leavenworth to run a half marathon. It was a great girls trip - nothing more relaxing than running 13.1 miles, right?
We left early Friday afternoon, drove 3 hours to Leavenworth.and had a great time chatting the whole way which always makes a road trip go faster. We had dinner (5 star dining at it's best- ha,ha!), looked at the quaint shops there and then drove 20 minutes to Wenatchee where we stayed with Misty's parents in their beautiful home. We got a good night sleep - at least some of us did. I don't ever remember actually sleeping - I guess I had pre-race jitters. We got up early and headed to the race. It was a little chilly, but perfect temperature for running (45 degrees). I haven't actually ran a half for 5 years because I have been doing the full marathons for awhile, but after this race I decided I like the halfs much better - easier on my knee for one, and less time consuming to train for. I have to admit when we got to mile 12 I was glad I didn't have to run for another 14.
It was a beautiful race - relatively flat course and once the clouds lifted from the mountains and the sun came out it turned into a gorgeous fall day. I didn't care for the trails we had to run on the first 2 miles and the last 2 because they zig zagged back and forth making them seem longer than they actually were and some of the trails felt like running on beach sand, not something you want to deal with the last few miles of the race. But I did it and I got my goal - under 2 hours. I actually thought I had gotten slower over the last few years, but I guess I still have it in me to pull it out.
So as far as the relaxing girls trip, that came after the race. We got back, sat in the hot tub, and had a delicious authentic Mexican dinner that a friend had made. And then it was time to go home - back to real life! Thanks gals for the fun weekend, and I hope to be able to do it again next year!
We left early Friday afternoon, drove 3 hours to Leavenworth.and had a great time chatting the whole way which always makes a road trip go faster. We had dinner (5 star dining at it's best- ha,ha!), looked at the quaint shops there and then drove 20 minutes to Wenatchee where we stayed with Misty's parents in their beautiful home. We got a good night sleep - at least some of us did. I don't ever remember actually sleeping - I guess I had pre-race jitters. We got up early and headed to the race. It was a little chilly, but perfect temperature for running (45 degrees). I haven't actually ran a half for 5 years because I have been doing the full marathons for awhile, but after this race I decided I like the halfs much better - easier on my knee for one, and less time consuming to train for. I have to admit when we got to mile 12 I was glad I didn't have to run for another 14.
It was a beautiful race - relatively flat course and once the clouds lifted from the mountains and the sun came out it turned into a gorgeous fall day. I didn't care for the trails we had to run on the first 2 miles and the last 2 because they zig zagged back and forth making them seem longer than they actually were and some of the trails felt like running on beach sand, not something you want to deal with the last few miles of the race. But I did it and I got my goal - under 2 hours. I actually thought I had gotten slower over the last few years, but I guess I still have it in me to pull it out.
So as far as the relaxing girls trip, that came after the race. We got back, sat in the hot tub, and had a delicious authentic Mexican dinner that a friend had made. And then it was time to go home - back to real life! Thanks gals for the fun weekend, and I hope to be able to do it again next year!
1 comment:
Good for you Leslie! I don't have any ambitions to run a marathon but a 1/2 would be feasible.
Post a Comment