I usually love all of the excitement and anticipation of the season, but this year I wasn't really in the mood for Christmas with all the challenges we have gone through the last few months, so we decided to do something different and go on a trip to Utah. Actually we had planned to go to awhile ago, but it was perfect timing. Let me explain. About 20 years ago when Mike and I were dating, he surprised me for my birthday by taking me out to dinner to a restaurant, (no longer there), that overlooked Temple Square. This was pretty exciting for the two of us because we had never been out to dinner at a real restaurant - unless you want to count McDonalds. This place was fancy and we got to see the lights turn on at Temple Square. Afer dinner we walked around and admired the many lights that covered the trees. I remember this was the first time I heard Mike marvel at the red lights on the tree - he loved the way they looked ( now we have trees with red lights.) Next we went to the Mormon Tabernacle Choir and Symphony concert. The music was beautiful and really helped us feel that Christmas spirit. It was a wonderful night, one that I will never forget. Not only because I got to spend it with a wonderful man, but it truly helped bring the feeling of Christmas.
So last summer as we were discussed my upcoming 40th birthday - ugh! We talked about what I might want to do for the big 4-0. I told Mike that I have always wanted to take the kids to Temple Square during Christmas time so they could see the beautiful lights. So we decided to do it. I had to get organized and get a lot of the Christmas to do list finished early, and then the kids would have to miss a day at school. Everything was working out perfect, even the weather cooperated for us on the drive down there. But the only hitch in our plans was getting to go to the concert. See, the small concert that we went to 20 years ago, has now turned into a 3 day production in the Conference Center, with special musical performance, etc. They sell out of tickets (eventhough they are free), in October, and even then it's by a lottery system, so needless to say it's really hard to get in. Someone did tell us that you might have a chance if you wait standby. We decided to do it. We knew that we would still have a wonderful time even if we didn't get into the concert. If we did that would just be icing on the cake.
We got into Salt Lake around 3:00pm after staying the night before with my brother's family in Butte, MT. We got ready and went to dinner at a beautiful restaurant - The Garden, located in the Joseph Smith Memorial Building. It also overlooked temple square, so we got to see the lights go on. We were glad we went when we did because the restaurant started to get very busy by 5. We then walked around Temple Square, admired the lights, and then found the standby line for the concert. Luckily we didn't actually have to stand - they put everyone in the Tabernacle to sit. We got there early enough that they told our section of people (about 100 of us), that we would most likely get into the concert - which didn't start until 8. While we waited, the girls and I headed over to the beautiful City Creek Mall and did some last minute shopping. Then we switched off with Mike and Preston, so they could go look around. Once it got close to 8 we were getting anxious. Would we get in, or wouldn't we. We didn't think so once they started broadcasting the concert on the screens, but just when we thought are wait was for not, they announced for us to go. We were ecstatic. We literally ran across the street to the Conference Center. The Ushers helped us in - they were just as excited for us being able to get in.
Although we sat on the highest balcony on the edge - it was an amazing concert. It truly helped get me in the mood for Christmas. I felt the spirit so strong, especially when I heard the opera singer, Alfie Boe, sing "Bring Him Home." That song reminds me of Kristine and really brings those sad emotions to the service. I will never be able to hear that song again without thinking of her. There was a lot of beatiful music and stories told. I think this is something that none of us will ever forget. And it was the best Birthday present ever.



No comments:
Post a Comment