Monday, June 27, 2011

DISNEYLAND










We did it! I write that because up until 2 days before we left for California we weren't sure if we were going to go. We had planned on going back in March when Kristine got her prognosis that the resistant cancer cells in her body for growing. She wanted more than anything to go to Disneyland with Katherine and she wanted us all to go with them. Of course I was game. The month before however Kristine got really sick, her husband Greg had ankle surgery, so we didn't think it would happen. Mike also didn't feel like it was a good time for him to be gone from work. Well, the week before it was time to go, Kristine started feeling good, she decided to go without Greg, and Mike decided that he would fly home early - because I wanted to go so bad and I was willing to drive for 2 days to get home with just me and the kids. I know I'm crazy. But I wanted to go that bad. We needed something positive in our lives.




We left for McMinnville, Oregon, where grandma and grandpa Egan live, right after school on Friday. We go there around 9:00. It was fun to be able to spend the day with them. We got to see Doug, Sandra and Sophie in the morning. And then Kristi and Kyle came by for lunch. We actually fit a lot in in the 24 hours that we were there. And then we started a drive to California at 8:00pm. The plan was that Mike would drive all night and the kids would sleep. It worked. The kids woke up around 8 in the morning and asked how many hours we had left and we only had 4. So the trip that they had been dreading wasn't as bad as they thought - except for Mike. It was a new experience to drive on the busy freeways in LA. It's a whole different world down there.




When we got to Newport Beach, we thought we would get to check into the condo early but we couldn't until 4 so we decided to drive by the ocean and check it out. We went to Laguna Beach and stayed the afternoon, eating our lunch and jumping the waves. Finally, after some fun at the beach we went to check-in. The resort we were staying in was beautiful. You could see the ocean from the pools. Later that evening Kristins and Katherine arrived, and so did Kimberly and Dustin and their family.




MONDAY- We spent the next day in the pool. It was so nice to be able to relax and have fun. The kids loved it.
Here we are all enjoying the poolside.
TUESDAY- We went to Disneyland. It was pretty busy, being the day after Memorial Day. But we strategized our ride game plan using the fast passes, so we only had to wait in one long line at Splash Mountain. That was the longest - 90 minutes. The little kids did not like waiting in line especially since they didn't even want to go on the ride in the first place. It didn't help that the line was in front of the 50 foot drop where we watched all of the other riders take the plunge. Preston was the worst. He was adament that he was not going to go. I tried to ignore him so he was mad at him. Don't these kids realize that we do this for their own good. Making them go on these rides is good for them right. My sister and I decided that we never had a choice in the matter when we were little and we turned out all right. Besides we're paying good money to be here so we're going to have a good time.
Actually, joking aside, it is pretty comical the whole parent push at Disneyland. This was our only experience with this so I had to mention it.




Preston did go on Splash Mountain and he survived. I wouldn't say he loved it but he realized it wasn't that bad. He can handle the roller coasters lie Space Mountain and the Matterhorn but he does not like the way his stomach feels when he goes down a drop. I understand his point so no more Splash Mountain.




We experienced the rest of the rides and had a great time. We didn't feel like we got to do a lot because of the crowds so we were glad we would be coming back another day. I do have to say that I love Disneyland. I love the creativity that goes into that place. The way they create everything to go with the each theme, including the garbage cans. I think my dream job would be to work for Disney and help creat ideas for rides and the park. I just love it.




WEDNESDAY - We spent the whole day at the pool again. This is the perfect vacation because we aren't right at Disneyland feeling like we have to just do the park. We're able to break it up with relaxing days in between. Later we went driving around Newport and got some pizza to bring back. Mike and Kellie went to Magic Mountain for the day. Kellie just can't get enough of the extreme roller coasters so that was their vacation plan. They had a great time except that Valencia was 1 1/2 hours away from Newport, so it ended up being a long drive. But they had a great time.

THURSDAY - Mike left early in the morning to get back home to work and it was just Kristine and I taking the kids to Disneyland. It was a perfect day because there were less crowds. We were able to do everything we didn't have time for on Tuesday. Also, Kristine took the two little girls and they went and saw all of the characters. I took the older kids and we went to California Adventures. I have to say that Soaring was the best ride in the whole park. I loved it so much I had to go on it again. And of course Kellie had to go on California Screaming. It was fun to be able to just take the older kids and go. They all stayed behind me as we weaved our way through the crowds. It's a whole new world when you don't have little kids that you have to wait for and watch out for. We had a fabulous time.

FRIDAY - We were suppose to start our drive back today but we thought what the heck, their is nothing we have to get back to and the weather was so beautiful so we might as well stay another day and enjoy the sun and relax in the pool. I'm so glad we did because not only was it raining in Spokane, but it gave me a rest day before our long drive back home.




SATURDAY & SUNDAY - We drove and drove and drove some more. I have to say that the kids did really well in the car. It got really loud at times and their was some bickering and whining going on but all in all it wasn't a bad drive. Kristine kept me awake by talking to me the whole time. We got to see a lot of country over the last week - 7 states. It made me realize that I love going on road trips. It reminds me of when I was a kid driving to CAnada or Mexico sitting in the back of the station wagon - those were good times. And we didn't even had DVD players and we survived.




We got to stop by Provo and do a quick tour with the kids and then we stayed at Kristine's in-laws in Layton, UT. One more day of driving and we were home. Home Sweet Home. It was good to back , but the trip was worth it. We came home rejuvenated and ready for summer vacation.































No comments: