Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Egan's High Adventure




The only way to get back on the trail - walking the log!

Mike teaching the kids how to start a fire without matches!



Our Campsite!
Heading back to the car!

Mike carrying Haylie across the river - she was the lucky one!



We finally did it - we attempted a backpacking trip as a family. Being the professional backpacker that he is, Mike has been looking forward to taking our family on a backpacking trip for years. After years of him serving in scouts, taking time off from work and away from family to go on numerous backpacking trips and high adventures, he decided it was our turn. And now that Haylie was old enough and we have taken many day hikes as a family, he knew we were ready. I agreed it was time - reluctantly. Sure, I like the outdoors and I don't mind camping, but I'm totally obsessive about being ultra prepared. When I am in the outdoors I like to have as much with me as possible to make my experience as pleasant as possible. I was a little hesistant about going backpacking for the very reason that you can't take very much with you. But I had all the faith in Mike that he would have everything we would need and we would be ultra prepared because he is just as OCD as me. I do have to say I think Mike had a hidden agenda in the little adventure- to use all of the backpacking gear he has collected over the years.

So we headed out for our adventure on Thursday afternoon. We drove a couple hours on a beautiful drive to Upper Priest Lake to the trail head. We got our packs on and started on our way. Within an hour I think everyone was whining and crying. Not because of the weight of the packs or the hiking itself but because the mosquitose were horrendous. We were getting eaten alive. The girls and I were constantly spraying off onto our exposed skin. Oh, did I mention that only one wearing long pants and long sleeves was the experienced hiker- Mike. I knew there was something wrong when we all got out of the car wearing shorts and he had his proper hiking gear.

But we persevered through the mosquitos but it was when it started pouring rain when Kellie and Ashlie insisted we turn around and go home. We kept going and when we got to the stream (or at least that's what it was when Mike was here before - now it's a full on river),we had to bush whack through the wilderness to find somewhere to cross. That's when everyone had had it. I just had to laugh because everything was going against us from the get go. We found a lot to cross and that was very adventurous. The kids were nervous but they did it. After that we knew we could keep going and stay positive. It also helped that Mike pulled out his questionable 100% Deet Mosquito repellent to save us from getting eaten alive.

A couple of hours later we got to the campsite. It was so remote and beautiful. It was so calm and peaceful looking across the lake into the sunset. THere is nothing better than hiking and campling than to have some food. We had our Mountain House meals which we all thought were delicious. Mike set up our camp - he takes such good care of us. We had a great time enjoying our dinner and the campfire. But of course we didn't stay up too long because of those darn mosquitos. The kids were all happy to get into their tents and go to sleep to escape from those little pests. We slept soundly and safely - thank goodness because there are bears in the area.

We got up and fixed some scrumptious breakfast and were ready to head back to the car. Yes, this wasn't a long trip, but long enough for our first backpacking adventure. On the way back we unanimously decided to forgo looking for that log to cross and just cross the river and deal with being soaking wet. We knew we'd get to the car soon so it was fine by all of us, except Preston. And Haylie was the lucky one - she got a piggy back from dad.

So we did it and survived. We were all looking forward to eating hamburgers, fries, and huckleberry ice cream cones for lunch on our way home. Mike asked us if we would want backpack for a week? We all said "NO!" But we wouldn't mind going on another backpacking trip like this one - a one nighter. And maybe in August when there aren't so many darn mosquitoes. So, yes, we would DO IT EGAN!!!!


2 comments:

Westonhome said...

Good for you guys for being such troopers! You know exactly how I feel about camping. My back is still sore from girls camp :)

Anonymous said...

this is just a great story. The kids will always remember it.