I have to say that this has been a hard school year, more for me than for my kids. They have thrived in all aspects. Kellie continued to juggle volleyball, piano, seminary, friends, and getting great grades. She always amazes me at how motivated and dedicated she is in all of her endeavors. I don't know how she does it sometimes but she's a pretty neat girl.
And Ashlie survived middle school. And yes it was survival. Because of her quiet demeanor she had a hard time finding the right groups of friends. She tried to fit in with new ones because her old ones were heading in a different direction. Isn't that just middle school for you. But she stuck with her friend who was tried and true and things have turned out all right. She had some other disappointments as well, like not making leadership or yearbook, but yesterday made up for it all. (Also winning the tennis tournament last weekend was a great confidence booster.) She received some pretty great awards at the awards assembly that she had no idea about. First of all she got the Presidential Academic Award which was awesome. About 12 kids were chosen for their consistent effort in academics. Also, she got the Kids with Character award. THis one I didn't even know about, because the middle school had called to let me know that she was getting the Academic Award so I would be there, but they didn't tell me about this one. This award, which was actually a trophy, was given to about 10 kids who show great character at the school. I'm so glad that she got these awards because she is so deserving of them. She stays under the radar most of the time because she's quiet and shy, but she's such a nice girl. So sometimes the good girls needs to be recognized. We were definitely proud of her.
And then Preston excelled as well. He has become a better reader, he loves math. And he is an amazing athlete. He loves all sports - soccer, basketball, and baseball. He seems to love whatever sport he's in at the time. I have to admit it's pretty great to have our only boy actually be athletic. But the the thing that impresses us the most about Preston is his character. He is so kind and sensitive towards others whether he's cheering his teammates on, or being kinds to the other kids in his class, he's just great.
And Haylie has loved this last year in school. She loves playing with her friends, especially her best friend Chloe. She loved being in soccer and being in dance. Her biggest concern is that she never got the Character Counts award in school. Which I told her was OK, because she is still an awesome girl and I think she shows great character. I don't know if that means anything coming from your mom, but that's all that matters as far as I'm concerned. She is a sweet girl and very kind to others.
And as far as why I had a difficult time this year, was because I was lonely. No one prepared me for how hard it would be to have all my kids in school. The message that I heard from most moms was that it was the greatest thing - well not this mom. I miss them terribly. I told Mike we should have had 6 kids because I wasn't ready for this. It went by so fast. And not to say that I was bored or didn't have enough to keep me busy, I did. But I missed someone by my side. I missed having a little friend to talk to while I went shopping. I missed having someone to eat lunch with. There is nothing more lonely than making a sandwich and eating it all by yourself. But the end is here - I made it through and starting Monday all of the kids will be home and there will be chaos and craziness and noise. And I will love every minute of it.
This is the view I've had every day last year, sending my kids off to the bus.


2 comments:
start a lunch or breakfast group :) We meet once a week and pick different places. It's fun to talk and we call it our therapy session :) One lunch you won't have to eat alone.
I hear you when it comes to eating a sandwich by yourself every day - or skipping lunch all together! I was one sad mom when my baby went to Grade 1. It does get easier but I always look forward to my kids coming home from school at the end of the day!
Post a Comment